Monday 6 June 2016

Hydrangea Wishes...

I think Hydrangeas are such lovely flowers, big blooms made up of so many delicate small flowers. Gorgeous colours from bright pink to a muted mauve, just as beautiful dried as fresh.





So why can't I have one??





I think we've bought Hydrangea plants 3 times now, and I've ruined 2 1/2 of them. The half is because I believe there's a chance that my last one is trying hard to stay with us...



We bought this little one last year near the end of the season. It sits at the front of the house and spends more time in shade than sun. I've left it alone, not removed a dead head, absolutely nothing, kept my very 'not green fingers' away from it.

I was so thrilled when I saw the new growth coming through, beautiful strong green leaves.






I wasn't sure what I should do... just leave it alone with last years dead flower heads, or get out the pruning scissors...

So, as with most things nowadays, I googled it. It didn't really help, I was reading about fresh growth from new shoots and some varieties grow their shoots on old wood, it all felt quite confusing!




I decided to be brave and follow the advice that recommended removing the old flowers after winter so the new growth 'knows' it needs to flower and produce more seeds.

Was this the right thing to do? Any advice is very welcome. Will she survive and give me more flowers?




Even though it's looking very small, I can see the future flower heads beginning to form.




What favourite flowers grow in your gardens, am I the only one who doesn't have a very green thumb?

Will my dreams and wishes come true.....




Take care
xxx



23 comments:

  1. Hello Cheryl - Hydrangeas are so beautiful, aren't they? I first tried to grow them many years ago, but gave up on them when they decided they really didn't like me! But, I did bite the bullet and plant some more about ten years ago, and - yes, they thrived and are amazing! So, keep trying, it will be worth it in the end! What soil are you using? Perhaps you could try a smaller pot, so the plant hasn't got too much room to grow in to all at once?
    Enjoy the sunshine, and Happy Gardening!
    Best wishes,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was planted in compost from the garden centre, perhaps this will be the one that 'makes' it xx

      Delete
  2. You certainly did the right thing I am sure it will grow strong and bloom for you, one of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really hope it's the beginning of my Hydrangea growing xx

      Delete
  3. Lol, I don't have a green thumb either but it looks as if your hydrangea is going to make it. I'll leave the gardening advice for someone else. :)
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did exactly what you have done and mine flourished in Tydd, I have more now and they are ready to be potted on. All I have to do is find some pots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore hydrangeas too...I have 3 and I don't do to well with them either...I just leave the dead heads until they start sprouting new leaves then dead head them...I water them after the sun has gone off them and feed them with tomato food...I have little flowers forming like yours on one but not the others...but I'm sure yours will look splendid it looks really healthy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should start using some feed, gives me an excuse to have a wander round the garden centre too xx

      Delete
  6. Oh we have something in common. My sister dug up a hydrangea plant from her yard for me. It has been in the ground, in the sun, for three years now and has never bloomed. I cut back the brown stems. It has new green leaves, but no sign of a bloom. Your Hydrangea looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe the 'secret' must be to leave it well alone, I wish I were more green thumbed xx

      Delete
  7. Yes you did do the right thing. I believe the old flowers protect the new ones coming through. It's what I did to the new one I bought last year and it's looking healthy now x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hydrangeas. I had one in a pot but it hasn't thrived at all so I've found a space for it in the garden and I'm hoping that it'll do better there, time will tell. Good luck with yours, let's hope we both get flowers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share your love of hydrangeas and the lack of green thumbness. I wish you luck with plant, it looks good from here!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep that's what i do, remove the dead flowers once the new growth has started to come through, mine have survived that way anyway :-)
    They are a beautiful flower, i do hope you will be rewarded with lovely blooms this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cheryl, I too love hydrangeas and was lucky to inherit six mature ones when I moved 5 yrs ago. They are all still alive and happy, each autumn I remove dead flowers by cutting just above a new leaf bud and all as been good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cheryl, We're all different, aren't we. I moved into a house with 5 hydrangeas in the garden and took them all out - I really don't like them and they seem to know it. They never perform for me. But yours are pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful flowers! Hope that yours does well for you. I think you did the right things, remember, they like plenty to drink - and probably food too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We cant grow hydrangeas or lilacs this far south, I love them so much and don't even get me started on peonies. Good luck!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hydrangeas too! I think you did the right thing and your plant looks very healthy. Hope you have lots of pretty hydrangea flowers this summer.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I can't offer advice but I do like hydrangeas. I'm planning to buy one of the lacy headed ones to replace a boring conifer. Need to dig up the conifer yet though but can't wait to get rid of it! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love hydrangeas, but like you I have no luck with them. While traveling through our country's state of Alabama recently, I was amazed how beautiful the hydrangeas were all over...so blue! Apparently they don't need any nuturing there. They were growing like crazy at an abandoned house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments