Sunday 4 September 2016

Sunday Afternoon

We are on the countdown to the beginning of the new school year, back to school on Tuesday. My daughter will be going into year 10, wow, hard to believe. I was ironing some name tags into her school blazer, tie and shirts the other day thinking how I've been doing this for around 24 years now, only one more year of doing it left (she won't be wearing school uniform in her 6th form).

There isn't much excitement from Imogen about going back to school, early mornings and homework (though I know she's looking forward to catching up with everyone again), but I shall welcome back the routine and structure that seems to dwindle over the holidays. I love the holidays, love having my girl at home so much more and love the summer, but I'm ready for the change now. Ready for Autumn then Winter, ready to start cooking lots of warm dinners and curling up cosily as the nights draw in.

Sundays become one of my favourite days, spending time preparing the dinner



I enjoy sitting in the kitchen with a nice cup of tea, peeling all the veg while I listen to the radio




Followed by a tasty Sunday roast




My son comes to visit in the afternoon, arrives in time to enjoy a good family meal.We all sit round the table chatting and laughing. Even though we speak everyday, there's always things to catch up with or remember.




After the clearing away (doesn't take long if everyone pitches in) we choose a boardgame to play. We don't do this as much in the Summer as we tend to go out more, even if it's to sit in the garden. Today we dug out the Monopoly, haven't played this one for a long time.


Mitzi decided to take a walk across the table, perhaps she was thinking of investing in some property!




 After we've eaten and played our game, we move into the sitting room, sometimes a film is put on. Today we spent time chatting while I continued with my latest crochet. It wasn't a planned project, but I fell in love with the wool, its Flutterby chunky by James Brett. It's so soft it makes you want to stroke it and is perfect for a blanket to curl up under when it gets colder.




It's coming along well, the chunky wool means it grows quite quickly.


I'm using 3 colours and making random stripes.



It's getting long, covers my toes...




Well that's my Sunday, all that's left is to watch Victoria tonight (I'm really enjoying it), then catch up with Poldark on IPlayer, I do love Sundays.

Take care
xxx






32 comments:

  1. Oh yes Poldark tonight. I need to record it. I had a leisurely Sunday too. I went for a dog walk with oldest. Sunday is time for family isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty blanket! Oh, I can't wait until season 2 of Poldark comes to the USA. I like it so much.
    Yes, the back to school routine is a good one. I like the way you attend to your family's routines. They'll remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Plod ark was worth the wait... won't say anymore xx

      Delete
  3. A lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon, love that shade of pink x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful way to spend Sunday, Cheryl. I like to cook a nice meal most Sundays too and one of the best parts is the time spent getting it ready. I'm also looking forward to Poldark returning; he comes back in three weeks for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the familiarity of doing it, the day has a rhythm to it xx

      Delete
  5. what a wonderful Sunday, its nice to see some-one still having family days, our sunday was a very busy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a day when we're all together without outside distractions xx

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a lovely Sunday, similar to mine. Although we had to make an emergency shopping trip for a new school coat! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh don't tease me with that roast dinner looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect Sunday :-)
    I've got no kids in school now but i remember ironing on name tapes and getting all the new clothes and stationery ready, i used to love getting their uniform ready for school and polishing their shoes.
    Back to school to me now means that it will take a little longer to get to work in the mornings after the quiet of the last 6 weeks :-(
    Love the colour of your blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With 14 years between my children, it feels like I've been doing the school routine forever xx

      Delete
  9. Your Sundays sound perfect. It's very different for me this year, no children returning to school after the holidays, I always used to love having them at home though but they were always glad to get back, they both loved school. Your blanket looks lovely, I can see how snuggly that yarn looks, it will be perfect for blanket making. I'm so behind with things I want to watch, I've taped Victoria and Poldark so I've still got them to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both very good, perfect Sunday evening viewing xx

      Delete
  10. Hello Cheryl - a lovely, relaxing Sunday..... What a perfect end to a busy week. Family time together seems harder and harder to come by in these busy times, so it makes your Sundays extra special, I'm sure.
    You've chosen a lovely yarn and colours for your crochet - your blanket looks beautiful.
    I hope your Imogen has a good first day back at school tomorrow!
    Have a lovely week,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Imogen is enjoying being back, she's full of plans for the new school year, it's really good to see xx

      Delete
  11. That is a beautiful Sunday. Yes, it's back to School Sundays from now onwards. Get the uniform, make the tea, settle down to Victoria/Poldark and relax before a week of work. Your routine sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a routine I appreciate as an adult, I don't remember enjoying them like this as a child xx

      Delete
  12. What a lovely Sunday! I too look forward to the cooler days and crisp nights of Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still so warm and muggy here, I'm looking forward to it too xx

      Delete
  13. My youngest started 6th form this year and quite happily ditched the school uniform, cheerfully wearing his 'best' grunge stuff. He's happy now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my son being thrilled like that when he went to college xx

      Delete
  14. A lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
    Dinner looks delicious.
    Love the pink and white blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Sundays too! Your dinner looks lovely ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is something so cosy about Autumn and Winter Sundays. Your new blanket reminds me of candyfloss!
    Your roast potatoes look so crispy, just how I like them!
    Hope the return to school went ok for your daughter.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a relaxing day. I love to cook when I can relax with it and am not under time deadlines. We played Monopoly about a year ago! Brought back memories. That blanket is going to be cozy to snuggle under real soon.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Cheryl, thanks for the lovely comment you left over on my blog. I used to love doing family Sunday Roasts ... I grew up with them myself & it became something to look forward to. But times change with sons moving away & daughter in laws becoming vegetarian ... so I no longer do them. Reading your post today reminded me of how much I miss them. Your blanket is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cheryl Found you via Thistlebear and couldn't resist visiting somebody from the UK with the same name. My eldest has just gone into year 10 too. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon. We love board games and I always enjoy a little time crocheting. Hope this Sunday is as good. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments