Saturday 25 March 2017

Hexies and Buzzy Bees

I've had a lovely piece of post curtesy of my wonderful husband. It arrived very nicely packaged



It always makes it enjoyable when you can see how much trouble the seller has gone to to make it look so pretty, it feels so much more personal.





It was a very cute sewing box that looks like a bee hive





Little embroidered bees, honeycomb and pretty flowers.





 Andrew says I need it for storage and actually it's a bit smaller than he thought it was going to be but I love it when I 'need' things, heheh.

I've put it to very good use already. I've been wanting to do some English paper piecing for quite a long time, just never got round to it (so many crafts, so little time). I don't have a big project on the go at the moment, so it seemed a good idea to get started on one. I have done paper piecing before, but it was decades ago, so I refreshed myself with this book.



I had lots of paper hexagons that had been free gifts with magazines. Popped a small table up in the conservatory (lots of natural daylight), pinched some of Imogen's paperclips, found some white basic cotton for basting...




there's lots of pretty fabric to be used




I was ready to start. I cut lots of pieces of fabric and clipped it round my little hexies, then basted the hexie careful not to sew through the paper. I found the whole process to be very relaxing, quite therapeutic.





I'm quite pleased with my little hexie, it looks quite pretty.




I'm onto a different fabric now. I plan to make a big quilt, so envision this to be a long term project, one I can dip back in and out of while still doing my crochet and felting.





Everything fits very nicely into my new crafting box (though I don't think it will once I start putting all the hexies together) and it's easy to transport to whichever room I want to sit in.




 It's Mother'sDay tomorrow here in the UK, so happy mother's day to all the mums out there.

Take care
xxx


27 comments:

  1. Hello Cheryl, I have been catching up on your posts. I hope you enjoy your worm farm - I just love mine & it is running really well now. I love the sewing caddy your hubby ordered for you - love the embroidery on it. Your hexies will be beautiful & I look forward to seeing them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new sewing box! Very sweet.
    Happy Mothers Day to you Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Just a little tip for you. I use a fabric glue pen which has temporary glue in it to glue the fabric to the papers. it is from a company called Simply solids and it has revolutionised my paper piecing. You get to quickly set up the fabric papers and just get sewing. Read this post, it is helpful for you I think.
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/joy.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh now that is very cute indeed.
    You have a lot of patience if you are going to make a big quilt from hexies. I would probably just about manage enough for a coaster before chucking it all in....lol.
    Have a lovely weekend-x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice new sewing box. : )
    You have a thoughtful husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a darling sewing box.
    Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty needlework box

    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't sew anymore, but love your box how cute, Happy Mothers Day xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh....what a pretty sewing box. Anything that gets delivered with the name "Polka Dots and Petticoats" has to contain beautiful pretties. Love the little bees; such an adorable box. AND....little itty bitty hexies...LOVE them! What a wonderful husband you have there; and it seems, a man of great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Cheryl
    I have that book too (which I think is great) and made a couple of hexagon patterns to cover a logo on a calico bag. I really enjoyed it. You're right - it is something you can dip in and out of alongside other hobbies.
    Enjoy!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute sewing box! I love it. Hope you enjoy your paper piecing, I have a quilt which has been in progress for a couple of years now. I'm doing the 'grandmother's garden' design and like you I fit it in with other projects. No idea when it will ever get finished but it is growing. Good luck with yours, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely little sewing box, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How absolutely adorable!! I have a few Etsy shops and I always try to make things more personal when I mail out the items I sell. : ) Happy Mothers' Day to you!! xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful sewing box. A very generous gift. I like the idea of hexies. I am not a sewer but I think I could possibly give it a try. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, how lovely is that, and I agree about sellers going the extra mile with packaging, it can make a parcel look very special. It's a lovely gift from Andrew, I wonder if Mick thinks I 'need' one, probably not, oh well. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely sewing box.
    I hope you have had a lovely Mothers Day

    Good wishes for the new week to come

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love that sewing box, what a thoughtful husband you have!
    I love the idea of making those little hexies but i'm really not very good with a needle and cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely present from your husband! So, so sweet and thoughtful. I've never thought of using paper clips for making hexies but I could see how useful they are for keeping the fabric in place while you're basting around it. Very clever. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely package! The outside looks wonderful, so nicely done, and what's inside is really pretty and unusual. Luckily you!

    Hope you enjoyed Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a gorgeous sewing box. ..what a lovely husband. Looking forward to seeing your hexie quilt evolves. Hope you had a lovely day on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very thoughtful gift from your husband, its perfect.
    Pretty hexis.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Cheryl, Your new sewing box is adorable and what a sweetheart your husband is :) I have never thought of using paper clips on my hexies before basting. That is a fantastic idea that I am truly going to try. Thank you!
    Let me introduce myself, I'm Connie and I'm your newest follower. I would love to invite you over to my blog and hope that you might follow me back :)
    Have a lovely day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The sewing box is so sweet and beautifully wrapped. I also like people who make an extra effort :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a thoughtful husband you have.
    Such a pretty sewing box.
    I have ordered from that website before and everything does come so neatly packaged.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that sewing box...tremendously original!!!

    It sounds as if you were right spoilt...and as if should be :-)

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. What's up all, here every one is sharing these kinds of experience, so it's good to read this
    weblog, and I used to go to see this website all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just desire to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clearness for your publish is just spectacular and that i could think you're knowledgeable in this subject.
    Well together with your permission let me to grasp your feed
    to keep updated with coming near near post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments