Wednesday 14 June 2017

What's Going On?

The answer to that is lots! My dad has had his first operation to deal with the cancer and is slowly (and painfully) recuperating at home. Hopefully it has all been removed and we're going onwards and upwards, though the day before he went for the operation, his Macmillan nurse rang to wish him well and also let them (my parents) know that the scans he'd had had all shown clear except for a small mass on his adrenal gland, which may or may not be nothing, but will have to be investigated. So that is something else to be done before dad has his heart operation to fix his leaky heart valve. One step at a time, one day at a time.

Meanwhile, up in Yorkshire not as much is going on as there should be. I have a few projects on the go, but the only thing I've managed to get finished this week is my book! I finished it earlier while waiting for the plumber to come and fix our shower (the second time within a fortnight), it really isn't the weather for the shower to decide to stop working - very hot and sticky here.

I was near the end and wanted to find out how it would wrap up as it had such good reviews, but it didn't 'grab' me like I'd hoped it would.



What Alice Knew by T. A. Cotterell was written from Alice's viewpoint. A successful artist, happily married to her successful husband with two children with a happy life, until..... her husband goes missing and odd things start happening. The author spent a great deal of time talking about art and the artists view of life, which I'm afraid was a little lost on me. I saw the ending twist coming, so no big surprise for me there either. I'm sure many people will love the language and descriptions, but it wasn't a favourite read for me and I'm not sure I'd read another book from this author.

So while I was busy finishing off my book, I wasn't busy finishing off my crafty projects. This is what I have underway at the moment.

Only 8 weeks until my sweet grandson comes into the world and here are parts of a quilt I'm making for him. The middle of the front is ready and I have some lovely, brushed cotton for the sides and back.




This project is some oilcloth material cut to make bunting for the garden, it just needs sewing onto some tape and it'll be ready to hang outside. I also cut some small pieces to hang around the fairy garden.




On my crochet hook, or just off it as it's now just waiting to be sewn together, is another grandbaby project. Here are lots of little stars waiting in a pile to be sewn in place.




This is where my stars will be shining, on this blanket that will soon be ready for my baby's baby!





Hopefully my next post will have finished projects show you!

I hope everyones's enjoying the weather whatever you have and you're having more success finishing off your projects than I am right now.

Take care
xxx






21 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl! I love the quilt colors!
    I always ponder as to if I should read or knit, write or sew. Big stuff! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt fabric - love the bits I see. I must admit to getting wrapped up in books and forgoing everything else.

    Good news about your dad. I hope things work out and they got it all.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all goes well for your dad x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt, almost an eye spy, I am sure that baby will love it. My grandchildren have their first quilts in their rooms and refuse to part with them. Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Said a prayer for your Dad that all goes well and he recovers quickly.
    Nice colors in the quilt you're making.
    I have so many books on my to read list. Thanks for the review and now I won't have to add this one to my list! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure have been achieving lots Cheryl. Gosh only 8 weeks til you get to meet your grandson - how exciting!! I hope everything goes smoothly for your Dad & he recovers well xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll give that one a miss then. I prefer stories that grab rather than flowery writings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is lovely. I'm glad that everything is moving in a positive direct for your Dad. Sending lots of best wishes that the next few weeks/months go smoothly!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all goes well for your Dad saying a prayer and sending hugs. The quilt and the blanket for your new Grandbaby are a delight, looking forward to seeing the end result. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping everything goes well with your dad x
    Lovely things made for your grandson, I think my daughter is about a week behind your DIL :-)
    I love the bunting, it'll look great!
    I picked that book up to take on holiday when i was in Asda yesterday, it seemed like a quick holiday read, sorry you weren't too impressed by it. The weather is great here at the moment, fingers crossed it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to laugh at the title of the book, What Alice Knew, as I've just finished a Liane Moriarty book called What Alice Forgot. Sorry to hear that it wasn't as good as expected, mine wasn't gripping but I did enjoy it. Sending lots of get well wishes for your dad, I do hope that he recovers from his operation quickly so that he can get the heart operation that he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending healing thoughts for your Dad Cheryl.

    Can't wait to see the star blanket and I love the quilt.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Cheryl

    Hope your Dad recovers quickly. You have been really busy with lots of projects. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. May the Lord bless your father. How exciting to be anticipating a grandson. The quilt fabrics are lovely. I wish you a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending positive thoughts for your dad Cheryl, I hope his recovery is quick.
    Your WIP's are all lovely. Not long now until you meet your Grandson. You must be so excited. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheryl, I'm sending get well wishes for your dad. I do hope he recovers well from his operation so that he can get the heart operation that he needs.

    Lovely to see all of your crafting projects.
    Not long to wait for your grandsons arrival ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your dad continues to improve, Cheryl. I'm so impressed with you, keeping busy and positive in these difficult times. And creating such lovely makes! I'm looking forward to seeing the bunting in the garden and the starry starry blanket. A big hug.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope your dad is doing well.
    Brushed cotton will make that quilt extra snuggly. And I'm loving the fact the blanket will have stars on it.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope your Dad continues his recovery and those scans keep coming back with good news.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never thought of using oilcloth for outdoor buntings . . . you are so smart. Thank you for the information, I'm going to give it a go:)
    Have a great week!
    Connie:)
    P.S. Thanks so much for following me back :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks so beautiful so far!! You must be so excited that your grandson's birth is just a few weeks away. I pray that all goes well with your dad. xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments